Are you feeling stuck in a low-level offering, wishing that handling objections in sales better would change your business?
Emily Williams knows what it is to live with fear, insecurity, and a fair amount of jealousy—not to mention be up to your ears in debt. After a series of low-paying jobs that left her feeling bored and stuck, she decided she had to follow her heart. So she started to dream big—about moving to London (where she knew no one), writing a book (which she wasn’t sure anyone would read), and launching her own coaching business (without knowing if she could earn a dime). And people told her what she wanted wasn’t “realistic.”
In 2010, Emily moved to London. She started writing. And in 2014, she launched her business. She made $442 the first month—and hit six figures in six months. Inside of 18 months, she hit seven figures—a meteoric rise that would be impressive for anyone, let alone a small-town girl from Ohio. It wasn’t realistic, it wasn’t luck, and it isn’t a secret. Emily made critical shifts in the way she viewed money and made decisions (including a sizeable investment in her business), and took action to get past her fears. And then she started teaching other women how to do the same thing.
You can’t do it without talking about money … so why do you keep trying? In THIS BLOG POST, I’m sharing some tips and tricks on how you can break through the NO’s and learn how handling objections in sales can change the course of your business.
Here are a few key secrets we talked about in this episode:
- Michelle introduces Emily Williams.
- Emily’s first sale brought her $442 – and she was on the call while on a park bench in California. She had two calls: one client said NO and one said YES.
- Emily received 54 NO’s in a row! How could she overcome that?
- Her coach encouraged her to cut her coaching prices in half, and focus exclusively on selling them. Her goal was to sell 10 spots.
- Not only did she sell 10 spots, but she sold more! That brought her $20,000, and was the first step on her upward trajectory.
- One of the huge factors that changed Emily’s sales calls was going deeper than NO. It was understanding why people said NO rather than just accepting that first NO.
- When Emily went deeper on the calls, she found that it was fear that made her potential clients say NO. When she was able to help people find solutions to those fears, she began to hear more YES’s.
- You have to be curious to be able to overcome those NO’s. Curiosity helps uncover hidden potential. People don’t want a paid friend, they want someone who is going to see them for what they have to offer.
- When people say they don’t have money, that’s B.S. People find money for what they truly want, whether it be from outside funding or from borrowing money. It can be found!
- “If you want to get to seven figures, you have to be willing to talk to people about money.” ~ Emily Williams
- Emily shares the story of her greatest NO when six people dropped out of her high-level mastermind.
- During the time of bouncing back, Emily leaned on her coaches and mentors.
- Emily shares how those NO’s were some of the best things that has happened to her.
- Hearing NO’s made Emily go through the learning curve fast: she had to get good at learning the financials in her business and build a strong foundation.
- You have to learn to take the emotions out of business and recognize that NO isn’t always about you!
- Create an atmosphere where your clients can communicate with you, especially before things go wrong. You want to learn and grow, make sure your clients know that.
- Remember that business is built in transactions and contracts: how can you protect the business you have built?
- Protecting your business means you may have to be a fierce leader, and not always make popular decisions.
- “You need people in your corner: you cannot do this alone.” ~ Emily Williams
- Learn how to spot toxic people early on. There are some people who you just have to say NO to because they are not right for you!
- “Know what your own limits are, and your boundaries, and put them in place.” ~ Emily Williams
- Emily shares what she would tell her younger self.
Connect with Emily Williams:
If you loved this episode please consider sharing it with a friend! And, we’d love it if you wrote us a 5 Star review on iTunes and subscribed to the show!
Handling objections in sales may seem like a scary task but learning how to do it can actually make your business more successful! In THIS BLOG POST I will give you the best tips for overcoming sales objections.