Dr. Robert Yonover is a Ph.D. geochemist/volcanologist with a history of innovative scientific contributions, technologies, and patents. His Ph.D. work includes multiple ALVIN submersible dives to two miles deep off the Galapagos Islands to retrieve submarine lava samples, with laboratory work performed at NASA Johnson Space Center and MIT.
A North Shore big wave surfer and Molokai Channel rough-water fisherman, Dr. Yonover uses the ocean as his laboratory. He has invented a multitude of survival technologies that were awarded U.S. Military/DARPA funding and U.S. Patents, including The military-approved SeeRescue® Streamer, Pocket Flotation technology, plus more.
How often do you cast your fishing line into the sea of sales opportunities? If you’re not getting any bites, or all of the bites you get are NO’s… then it’s time to cast off more often! Learn how in THIS BLOG POST!
Here are a few key secrets we talked about in this episode:
- Michelle introduces Dr. Robert Yonover.
- Dr. Robert introduces himself and shares a bit about what he does.
- The first NO that Dr. Robert received was for his rescue Streamer. His wife told him “quit playing with that plastic and get a real job.” The military was not on board with using Dr. Robert’s invention either.
- Do you look at NO’s as fuel? Dr. Robert does! He takes every NO as a lesson, modifies his pitch and keeps trotting along.
- It’s not easy to get in front of the military, so Dr. Robert had to work hard to connect with the world aviation director. He explains how he did it in this episode. It’s a great story (and involves a fax machine)!
- Dr. Robert shares how he managed to get media publications involved in what he was offering.
- If you’ve ever thought about attending a trade show, Dr. Robert is a pro at them. He shares his skills on how to make a big impression.
- “I just keep challenging you to make that pitch again and again. Get used to the NO’s.” ~ Dr. Robert Yonover
- One incredible tip that Dr. Robert shares is how you can use your connections to improve your stance with prospects. Dr. Robert used his connections to improve his chances when speaking with the Coast Guard.
- Dr. Robert’s most devastating NO occurred when a licensee he was intending to work with fell through and his entire business imploded.
- “The little NO’s help you for the big NO’s.” ~ Dr. Robert Yonover
- After losing the first licensee, Dr. Robert found a second one to work with. They were together 15 years until it was time to move on.
- When Dr. Robert was running his business he also appeared on Shark Tank (Season 8, Episode 22).
- All 5 of the Sharks loved Dr. Robert’s invention, but none of them wanted to invest in him and his product. He explains why in this episode!
- Even though Dr. Robert received NO’s from 2 licensees and 5 Sharks, he didn’t let them hold him back from continuing to pursue his success. He shares his next steps in this episode.
- During this time, Dr. Robert’s wife was diagnosed with MS, which made all of his concerns and issues with his product and money seem insignificant.
- Dr. Robert shares his three major takeaways from this experience from when he first created his product, to losing his licensee and his wife.
- Dr. Robert shares what he would tell his younger self.
Connect with Dr. Robert Yonover:
- Dr. Robert’s Website
- Hardcore Inventing
- Dr. Robert’s Facebook
- See Rescue Streamer Facebook
- Hardcore Caregiving Facebook
- Hardcore Inventing Book
- Brainstorm Islands
- Dr. Robert’s Twitter
- See Rescue Twitter
If you loved this episode please consider sharing it with a friend! And, we’d love it if you wrote us a 5 Star review on iTunes and subscribed to the show!
P.S. Stop waiting for sales and leads to come to you. It’s time to start fishing more and getting more nibbles on the line. Learn how to ensure you get a bit when you cast your sales fishing line in THIS BLOG POST!